Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A humble brother's question and my response

Greetings bro,


Sorry to bother you, my name is Jose and I had a question. I was trying to get a hold of your first album, but I was having trouble doing so, would you happen to know? i tried going to your website, ihearvoice.com and to no avail. Also brother, I wanted to thank you for your service bro. It's encouraging to me,my favorite song you have written and composed will always be "Contemporary Job" great song. Also, just wondering, do you think the orchestration of music (the organizing of tones, rhythm and what not) has a moral quality to it? Inyour song "Contribution" you stated "It's the heart of the man, not the style of the mic" to which there is truth, I do believe God is more concerned with why you are doing what you are doing.


But what about issues of association? For example, in houses if ill repute, you will not hear amazing grace playing, but bump and grind music, why is that? I think it is because that kind of music caters to the mood, makes you feel the "vibe". I just wanted to share some thoughts with you, just because I am searching these things out, and I do like alot of your music, and lyrically by God's grace you're very sound. It's just i figure, why not ask someone who creates music for God, and see what they have to say? I am by no means judging you brother, it is not my place. you will have to stand before God, and give an account, so i have no worries there. Also, I believe you are a true Christian, as far as I can tell, and you Love Christ, and He through the work and ministry of the Spirit has changed, is changing, and will continue to change you further into the image of Christ (Imago Dei :-)


So as a brother in Christ, I esteem you, and I am just curious about what you think my brother. Anyways, go with God brother. Hope to hear from you, and Forgive me if I have been unloving or unChrist like in anyway, for it was not my intent.


Sincerely,

Jose



My Response:


Jose,

Brother thank you for your humble question. I can see you have thought this through. I wouldn't have the time to go into all of the details of an issue such as this but I will attempt an answer to your great question.


I think the key issue here is not musical notes and their moral quality. I think the issue is regeneration and what does God do in the heart of someone he saves. Is God capable of redeeming someone and there music preference; to then use that preference as a vehicle to reach those that are lost within it, or edify those who are saved but still enjoy the artistic quality of the art form? To use your example of houses in ill repute and the bump and grind music playing is missing a doctrine of sin perspective. There are serial killers and rapists who listen to classical music while they attack their victims. Should then classical music be deemed as unfit bcuz there are some who are unregenerate that listen to it for sinful purposes? Rap is not the first and only art form to be created with an emphasis on self-glorification rather than God glorification. I know people who sing Amazing Grace that are not saved or people that listen to black gospel and even cry when listening to it that are not saved. The issue is not external its internal. What is in the heart of the individual? While there are DEFINITELY things that must be given up on as a believer I don't think beats are one of them, particularly when used to honor God.


At the end of the day I still stand by 1 Corinthians 10:31. Brother I so appreciate your humble thoughtfulness in this. We may both be wrong but we both serve the right God and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment